Thursday, July 29, 2010

Making a House a Home- Decorating Ideas

In between all the fun with family and friends, Adam and I have been working on making our house feel like home. Of course, with this comes a lot of projects. PAINT: As soon as we moved in we painted a few rooms in the house and thought this would allow us to stick to the builder's paint in the other areas for a while. Needless to say, it didn't take long before grew to hate our builder's paint. It was in all major, common areas of the house. It just seemed cold and was too flat. Our walls were getting marked up too easily! We decided to throw in the towel and paint the ENTIRE house. As much as we wanted to paint it ourselves, it was a huge job! So we decided to call on Andy Keister with Grace Painting. He is a fabulous painter, very trustworthy, and inexpensive. I highly recommend him, if anyone needs his digits. In the entryway, kitchen, breakfast room, family room, laundry room, and hallways he painted SW Latte. Which I LOVE!! In every bedroom (except the master which we already painted) he painted SW Nomadic Dessert. This is one shade lighter than Latte. I need to post pictures of the house soon. I am so happy with the finished product. Here is an example below of SW Latte in another home. I absolutely love the warmth in this color!
Currently we are working on furnishing the formal living area at the front of the house. This is the last room that really needs work. It is a very small space off of the formal dining room that I intend to keep open for entertaining, so I am working to create a nice sitting area for guests. My idea was to have two ivory arm chairs around an end table. Anytime I look at decorating magazines and books, I am always drawn to Ivory upholstered seating. Check out the picture below I found online that gave me this idea. I just love these Ivory chairs. Also, I know that I need a rug to warm up the space- visually and literally (its all tile). I am always drawn to cowhide rugs. I just love them in a non-western setting! I think it adds a nice surprise to the room. Plus, my country boy of a husband was all over that! See these examples below I used for inspiration.


So of course, I naturally turn to my usual furniture/decorating "go-to" spots for the chairs I envisioned. Nothing just right for the price! Reluctantly I visited Overstock.com. Much to my surprise I found EXACTLY what I was looking for at half the price of what I fell in love with at Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn. I ordered two of these Ivory Manchester Club chairs. I cannot wait for them to arrive. Oh and did I mention that shipping was $2.95??
Last, but certainly not least I found the perfect pedestal end table at Ballard Designs and ordered a beautiful black and brown cowhide rug from Ebay. Now, the only thing I need are some snazzy throw pillows on those chairs and my "sitting area" is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment